BEGIN Reagan's Birth Story | Corina's Corner

Reagan's Birth Story


On Wednesday, June 12th at 11am, I had my weekly doctor's appointment. My mom, who had gotten to town the night before, wanted to come to my appointment, so her and my aunt, Annett, met me there. At my appointment we did all of the usual stuff: they checked my weight, my blood pressure (120/60), and the baby's heart rate (146). My doctor came in to check me and said that I had progressed to a three. He had been telling me for a while that I had a great head start because of how low she was sitting. He said that because I had been so dilated for so long he would feel comfortable stripping my membranes and asked if I was ready to have this baby. When he asked this I remember getting a little bit nervous and thinking something like, "Well I think so, and I sure hope so, because I'm pretty sure this baby will be coming soon no matter what..." but of course I said yes. So he went ahead and stripped the membranes.

After the doctor, we went to my house, where my mom and Annett helped me finish packing my hospital bag, and did some cleaning. After this, we went to Lonestar Taqueria for lunch. All through lunch I had really bad cramps and I started timing my contractions at seven minutes apart. We ran a few errands after lunch, all the while contractions were still happening every so often.

We came home and decided to just hang out until Jordan got home from work, to see if we should head to the hospital or not. I also had a baby shower that night, that some of the nice women in my ward were throwing. After Jordan got home, my contractions had slowed a bit, so we decided to go to the baby shower and then see how I was feeling afterward.

My mom, Annett, and I went to the baby shower at seven and talked and snacked and had a great time. We were there for about an hour and a half and by the end I was having contractions every four minutes. They didn't hurt, but I could definitely tell when they were coming.

Once we left the baby shower we decided it was time to head to the hospital, but I wanted to eat some really good dinner first, because I knew that once we got to the hospital I wouldn't be allowed to eat. We headed home to grab my newly packed hospital bags and then headed to Buca Di Beppo. This was the "last supper," for Jordan and I as a family of two.

We got to the hospital at about 10:15pm. The nurse at the front desk asked me why I was there ( have a baby!) and I told her that my contractions had been four minutes apart and that I was dilated to a three. They sent us to room 203, the room our daughter would be born in. They had me change into a hospital gown and they started monitoring me. First, they monitored me for thirty minutes.

I was checked at this point by a nurse who I didn't particularly like. She told me that she couldn't tell where I was because the baby's head was so low. It was the most painful check I had ever had and it didn't even give us any information. As they were monitoring me, my contractions slowed way down/ kind of stopped. So after the half an hour of monitoring, they had us walk around a little bit to see if that would speed them back up. So at 11:15 Jordan and I started walking laps around the Labor and Delivery unit. As we were doing this my contractions picked back up, five minutes apart.

After thirty minutes of walking, they hooked me back up for more monitoring. This time they monitored me for an hour. Annett was still at the hospital at this point and said that she was going to stay until she knew if I was staying or not (I was really nervous they were going to send me home, and I really didn't want to be sent home).

After the walking, I got a new nurse, Roberta, who I really liked. She checked me and said that I was at a four. Since my contractions had started back up again, they decided to finally admit me at 1:15am. I got an IV in my right wrist. It was super painful and my hand was totally numb. I remember telling my mom that my hand hurt more than my contractions did.

My mom, Jordan and I played a few rounds of Monopoly Deal. At 2:30 I got a new IV in my left wrist, because I couldn't stand the pain any more. After this I decided I should probably try to sleep. I slept from about 3:30-5:30. Jordan slept on the pull-out bed/chair and my mom attempted to sleep on two chairs pushed together. I had to get up two times to go to the bathroom, which was silly every time because I was hooked up to the contraction monitor, the baby heart rate monitor and the IV, which would all accompany me to the bathroom.

At some point in the middle of the night they switched me from the individual monitor bands to the belly band monitors because the contraction monitor kept slipping, and wasn't catching all of the contractions. The nurse joked that I wasn't getting credit for all of the work I was doing.

At 6:15am, they checked me and said that I was dilated to a five. They hooked me up to pitocin. I never really noticed a change in my contractions due to the pitocin. I could tell they were coming, but I wasn't in excruciating pain or anything. Even though this was the case, I decided to ask for the epidural now because they told me that the doctor would be in to break my water around 7:30 or 8 and I wanted to have it before then.

I got an epidural at 6:50. The epidural made me super shaky. Really, really shaky. I was very uncomfortable. It was like I was shivering, but I didn't feel cold. This might have been the worst part of the whole labor. Pretty much from this point on, I didn't want Jordan to leave my side. I asked him to come over and sit closer to me. Just having him by me made me feel better.

After the epidural I got a new set of nurses. These new ones were really great. I had two nurses because one was new, Amy, who was shadowing the other, Sue, both of them were fantastic.

At 7:30, Jordan's dad came by on his way to work to help give me a blessing. I don't really remember what they said, except that they blessed the skilled physicians who would be delivering our baby. After the blessing Dave went to work and the nurses gave me a warm blanket. This really helped with the shaking. I think I stopped shaking pretty soon after they gave it to me.

At 8:30 the doctor came in and broke my water. It was such a strange feeling, especially since I had already been given the epidural and couldn't totally feel my legs. All of the sudden there was a lot of warmness on my legs and they were changing out the towels and pad from my bed. Jordan said he didn't even realize it had broken until I asked them to switch out another towel. He said he was expecting some kind of gushing noise.

At this point the contractions started getting stronger. I was so tired and worn out from all of the shaking that I decided I needed to get a little bit more sleep. While I was sleeping, they started having trouble with the monitors again, both the contraction and the baby heart rate monitors. When I would start having a contraction I would wake up and look over at Jordan who would look at the monitors and to tell me if it was picking up or not. I was also really nervous about the baby heart rate monitor not picking up because I really didn't want to get an internal monitor. At this point I remember thinking in my head, "Come on baby, just let us monitor you! It will be so much easier for us to monitor you from the outside!" Luckily, she listened.

I rested a little bit and then at 9:55 they checked me and I was at a nine and a half! We were so shocked! At about 10:30 I told my nurses that I felt like I wanted to push and they said, "Ok, Jordan come grab this leg" (the left), while Amy (one of my nurses), grabbed the other. They told me to grab the back of my knees and they had me start to push. I wasn't expecting to start pushing right when I said I felt like I wanted to, but I wasn't complaining. I would do three, ten second pushes per contraction. Contractions were coming every two minutes.

The doctor came in at 10:45, suited up and sat down. The nurse said something like, "You definitely wont be pushing for even an hour" which gave me a lot of strength. Since the doctor was there now, they occasionally had me do four or five pushes per contraction.

After some really tiring pushes, I could tell that her head had made it out! The doctor told me to stop pushing at this point and then when to start pushing again. I felt a lot of liquid come out after her head made it out. Then on the next contraction I felt him slip her whole body out. At 11:04am, she was born! I only had to push for a total of 34 minutes, and I'd say only about 20 of those minutes were really hard and tiring (the whole time the doctor was there).

They put her up on my belly really fast, kind of just plopped her down, while she was still attached to the umbilical cord. Her back was towards me and I remember thinking, "Turn her around! Please! I want to see my daughter! I want to see her face! What does she look like?"

They were really wiping her down with the swaddling blankets. She was almost completely white when she came out, covered in vernix. I couldn't believe that she was mine. It was such a surreal moment. Almost an out of body experience. I felt like I was there, but it was all happening so fast that I couldn't take it in as fast as it was happening. I wasn't bawling, but there were definitely tears streaming down my cheeks; tears of happiness. I think one of my favorite moments of the whole day, was when I looked up at Jordan and saw that he was crying too. Jordan NEVER cries. We just looked at each other in amazement. We had a beautiful daughter! She was ours!

She was crying really, really loud right when she came out and while they were wiping her down. Then Jordan cut her cord and they flipped her over and showed me her face. Jordan says that right when they showed me her face I said, "Hi Sweetie!" and kept calling her sweetie/ sweetheart. I don't remember. But I do remember that her face looked really squished. Before they took her to the other side of the room to be examined and get her shots, she gave Jordan and I the biggest pouty lips we had ever seen. She looked so sad! Right as they carried her to the other side of the room, my phone rang. It was my brother Dylan, in the car with my dad and brother Logan on their way to Utah from Colorado. My mom answered and said, "She's here! Can you hear her crying?" They definitely could hear her. I thought it was so funny that they called at that exact moment.


While she was getting cleaned up a bit and getting her shots and everything, they said her apgar scores were eight at one minute and ten at five minutes. I remember thinking and saying, "But it's only out of ten!" and then one of the nurses said "No one ever gets a ten!" I remember an overwhelming feeling of gratitude washing over me at that moment that we had such a healthy baby. She couldn't have been any healthier. And the delivery couldn't have gone any better.

While she was getting checked out, I was getting stitched up. I had a second degree tear, and getting those stitches was REALLY painful. More painful than the actual delivery.

After they finished, they brought her back to me for some skin to skin. The room switched from full of nurses to full of family, as Martha, Annett and Addie came in to see and meet our beautiful little daughter. After some skin to skin with me, she was swaddled and dad was finally able to hold her for the first time.

At about 12, they moved me into room 221, where we would be staying for the next few days. As they were wheeling me into the new room, I had Reagan on my chest. They wheeled me past the nurse's station and Amy said to one of the nurses, "Queue the lullaby!" and Brahm's Lullaby started playing in the hallway. When we got to the room I said, "Jord, did you hear that lullaby? That one was ours!" (While we were taking our birthing class we heard the lullaby play, and knew that a baby had just been born).

Even right now as I think back to that day, I remember how crazy it felt to have this perfect little baby with us, and to think that she would forever be ours. When we got to this recovery room, my mom and Annett had Cafe Rio waiting for us. Never had a Cafe Rio salad tasted SO good.

The rest of the day was a good blur of visits and fun with our new daughter (as well as getting feeling back in my legs, weirdest feeling ever). Claire was able to come and visit, which was so fun, because she just so happened to be in town from Boise (we were supposed to go to lunch that day, but I had a baby instead. I'm glad she wasn't mad that I had to cancel our plans).

Later that evening, Dave came back to meet Reagan on his way home from work. My dad and brothers came to the hospital as soon as they got into town, and my mom brought my grandma to the hospital. Dave and Martha came over with Devan on their way to the airport to pick up Landan, who was getting home from his mission that night at 8:30! After they got Landan they came back to the hospital so he could meet his brand new niece.

After everyone left, Reagan was finally able to get her first bath, which the nurses did in our room. They told us that at this hospital they never bathe babies right after they are born anymore because it can be such a traumatic experience, one that sends lots of babies to the NICU. So they wanted to wait until she had two successful feedings before she was given a bath.

The next day we had a few more new visitors, including Jared and Jessica, as well as lots of family who wanted to see Reagan again. We spent most of the day resting and holding our new baby. The rest was nice especially since we didn't get very much sleep the night before she was born.

Friday night, the night before we checked out of the hospital, we had our celebratory dinner. And it was tasty! We kind of thought it was funny, that it was Friday night and we were eating this fancy dinner, so it was almost like a datenight! Except that I looked like crap, and Reagan came too. We were happy she joined us though. Even though she slept through the whole thing.

The next day, Saturday, June 15th, was my actual due date. That morning we packed up our stuff and headed home! Jordan and I were amazed that they just let us walk right out of that hospital with this amazing, perfect baby. We didn't know anything about babies! Did they know that? Couldn't they send one of the nurses home with us? I guess they knew we'd figure it out!

We sure love you Reagan Jane. Thank you for choosing us to be your parents. You have already brought us so much joy and happiness, and I'm so happy that you are ours!

*The photos from the day of Reagan's birth are by Jalene Taylor. Once I saw these pictures I knew I wanted to have her there when I had my baby. I love how the pictures turned out and am so glad she was there! If you're going to have a baby soon, call her! You wont regret it.


  1. I love these photos! Jalene did such a wonderful job. Some of the ones when Reagan was being born were so beautiful they made me cry. You are so smart to document such a precious experience!

  2. What an experience! These pictures are wonderful. And as if Lex's pictures didn't convince me enough, yours have made me want to hire Jalene even more! Congratulations again!

  3. Ahhhh, I'm crying :) Gosh, I love birth stories. So beautiful!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

  4. ok, these image are beautiful.
    i feel like they capture your story so well.
    love your story.
    and love your little girl, she is adorable.


  5. This was so so sweet :) I love the pictures so much! she did a great job. And so did you!!

  6. I love these photos! These are such treasures to have. Congratulations! :D


Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top