BEGIN Washington, D.C. | Days 3 & 4 | Corina's Corner

Washington, D.C. | Days 3 & 4

Day 3 was our rainy day. Originally the weather reports said it was supposed to rain twice while we were there, but luckily, it only rained once. And this rainy day was the perfect excuse (not that we needed one) to spend the entire day at the American History and Air and Space Smithsonians. I didn't take any pictures with my big camera this whole day.

My favorite part of the American History Museum was definitely Julia Child's kitchen. I love Julia Child. A close second favorite, was Dorethy's ruby red slippers, pictured above. Also, please note the Nauvoo Sunstone in the background, also really neat, considering there are only 3 of these left from the original Nauvoo Temple.

After spending 4 hours in the morning at the American History Smithsonian, we were ready for lunch. We had sandwiches at The White Apron.

After lunch we wanted some kind of dessert, and just happened to be by a McCormick & Schmick's. When I went to Kansas City in 2009, my mom's friend Cheri took us to McCormick & Schmick's for Chocolate Bags. They are divine! I had been telling Jordan about them pretty much since we met, so we went and got one. It was just as magical as I had remembered. We went a little overboard on desserts (but that's allowed on vacation, right?) because we also got a slice of carmel walnut apple pie with some cinnamon ice cream.

When we were sufficiently stuffed, we walked over to the Air and Space Smithsonian, where we spent the rest of our day. Pictured above is Jordan with Felix Baumgartner's Space Suit. Felix is the man who, in October of 2012, jumped to earth from the edge of space, 24.2 miles high. If you haven't seen this video yet, please go watch his jump. It's miraculous. They had a special exhibit there with his suit and the Red Bull Stratos (which he rode in up to space). We really loved this exhibit. We also really loved seeing the 1904 Wright Brother's Flyer.

We spent about 4 hours at the Air and Space Smithsonian we went back to the Pentagon City Mall area, and went and got Pho for dinner.

The next day, we started at the Capitol. (Well, we actually tried to start at the National Archives, but the line looked really long, so we headed up to the Capitol, where incidentally, the line was much, much longer). We got in line for tickets and then did the tour.

^^The rotunda was very cool. Cooler than I thought it was going to be. And huge. Huge-er than I thought it was going to be too.^^

^^Tucked in a corner of the Statuary Hall we found this dude! Each state got to send in two statues, Utah send this here Brother Brigham, as well as a statue of Philo T. Farnsworth, the inventor of TVs.^^

After the Capitol tour, we walked through the tunnel to the Library of Congress, which also ended up being way cooler than I had expected. (I didn't know anything about the Library of Congress, so pretty much anything would have been surprising.)

^^This is the Great Hall of the Thomas Jefferson Building.^^

^^And here is the Reading Room.^^

After the Library of Congress we headed over to the Eastern Market. There we bought some treats: a peach danish, and a Russian tea cookie, some homemade lemonade, and some apple cider.

^^I have a newfound love of fresh apple cider and this stuff definitely measured up to my expectations.^^

We really should have taken the Metro back to the National Archives, but we didn't even think about it, and we walked the whole way. It wasn't a bad walk though, there was great weather, and I think I wouldn't mind living in Capitol Hill. I kind of loved it there.

We made it to the National Archives 26 minutes before they closed, which left us just enough time to see the big stuff: The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution and Bill of Rights, as well as the Emancipation Proclamation and the Magna Carta.

After Archives, we went back to the Natural History Museum, hoping to see the butterflies (it's free on Tuesdays), but we were too late, so we ended up finishing the parts of the museum we missed before, which was mainly the Skeletons.

We went swimming at the hotel, when we got back and Reagan loved it. She was so warn out by the time we were finished and cleaned up that she fell asleep in her crib with all of the lights on in the room, and the TV on.


  1. I was thinking the whole time if you had Reagan with you on this day until I got to the last part. Sounds like she was a great traveling baby to be inside museums all day! Loving your documentation of this trip :)

  2. your pictures are beautiful! I love these so much corina!


Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top